Burn Bans & More

Where to Get Information on Burn Bans, Equipment Restrictions, and Campfire Restrictions

Can I burn outdoors on my private land, aka is a Burn Ban in effect?

Restrictions on outdoor burning on (almost all) unincorporated private land are determined by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR). We typically think of this as a “Burn Ban” and burn bans determined by DNR cover not only private land by also all state forests, DNR-managed forestland, and DNR campgrounds. To determine whether there is a Burn Ban in effect in your area, follow this link and left click on your area of interest. It is best to call the DNR Northeast region at (509) 684-7474 before your initiate any outdoor burning.

In addition, the County Commissioners, with input from the Okanogan County Fire Chief Association, impose an annual fire safety burn ban. This is the burn ban that Fire District #6 posts on their website and on signs located in Carlton, Twisp, Winthrop, and Mazama; for portions of the Methow Valley south of Carlton, Fire District #15 applies. Fire Districts #6, #15, and the DNR have joint jurisdiction over most of the unincorporated property within the Methow Valley. This means that both sets of restrictions apply. You can contact Fire District #6 at 509-997-2981 or okanogancountyfd6.com and Fire District #15 at 509-689-0216 or https://www.docfd15.com/

If you live within the town limits of Winthrop or Twisp, you are subject to your town’s burn restrictions. Note that the towns generally follow the county’s burn ban. The towns can be contacted at: Winthrop: 509-996-2320; Twisp: 509-997-4081.

Can I use my chainsaw, weed-whacker, or other spark-emitting equipment?

Restrictions on use of this equipment, even for non-industrial use on private property, are determined by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and are based on the Industrial Fire Precaution Level (IFPL) in effect for your area. To get more information on IFPLs, click here.

The Methow Valley includes two IFPL zones: 678W and 684. To determine the specific IFPL zone that you are, see this map. Then call DNR at (800) 323-BURN, to determine the IFPL restrictions for your specific area.

Can I have a campfire on National Forest lands (including wilderness)?

Visit this Forest Service website to determine fire restrictions for National Forest lands (including Wilderness Areas).

Inspiring people to care for the land of the Methow Valley since 1996.

Join Team Methow Conservancy and support conservation work in the Methow Valley!